Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Another Surgery in 2013

About 3 weeks ago at 4:00 a.m. on Monday morning, August 12th, Wayne had a gallbladder attack. He had all the symptoms:

- Moderate to severe pain under the right side of the rib cage
- Pain through to the back and/or to the right shoulder
- Severe upper abdominal pain
- Nausea
- Queasiness
- Vomiting (almost)
- Gas
- Burping or belching
- His attack was at night
- His attack was after overeating
- His attack was followed a day of fatty and greasy foods
- His pain was worse with deep inhalation

And I mean ALL the symptoms. I had never seen him like that or in so much pain. Not even from his stomach hernia. Totally not like him, so I knew it was bad.

He went to the Dr later that morning, they ran some blood tests, prescribed him some pain meds and the Dr. recommended he have an ultrasound. We then went upstairs to do the ultrasound. Afterwards the tech unofficially concluded he had gall stones. Because she was a tech and not the Dr, she couldn't tell him that ON the record. They said they would call him after the Dr looked at it and then we were on our way.

That Thursday, the 15th, the Dr called him to confirm that he indeed needed his gallbladder out and they were referring him to another office and to call them to schedule a consult. So he calls and they can't get him in until the following Wednesday morning the 21st. The day before the start of the MN State Fair. Ugh. So, we pretty much came to the conclusion right away that the surgery was by no means happening before the fair. Great (insert sarcasm font). He went to the consult that Wednesday and because he could in no way miss any of the fair, the surgery is scheduled for Tuesday, September 10th. So needless to say he has been dealing with on and off pain since August 12th. Fun (insert more sarcasm font).

To complicate things even more, because he had hernia surgery just in April, this gallbladder surgery might be more invasive and instead of it being a daily in & out thing, he might have to spend a night or two in the hospital. Gross. The only thing that sucks about this whole things is A) He's in on/off pain until then and B) The Dr won't know until she is actually IN surgery if it will be more invasive or not. So we kind of have to wing it and plan for the worse.

Always something right?


Katie said...

I cannot imagine having to deal with pain for so long! I dealt with it for like 5 days and I thought I was going to die. He's a strong man! GB pain sucks! Bad! I ended up having 2 surgeries during my GB removal, only because a stone traveled. I will be thinking about him next week and praying it all goes smoothly and he doesn't need the more invasive surgery. If he is able to, after the surgery (and its not invasive) tell him to get up and walk as much as he can. It really does help with the gas pain that will travel up to his arm. Good luck!

~Dawn~ said...

OH NO! So sorry to hear he has to be in so much pain until surgery! I hope all goes well - thinking of you, friend!

Gabriella said...

Yuck! Sending prayers your way!!

Brittany said...

Aww hope his surgery won't have to be the super invasive one and he just suffer too much til then

Melissa @ i carry your heart said...

Oof no fun at all! I'm sure it'll be a relief when it's all over. Best of luck!

Latest pins